Leaky gut syndrome is a condition that is rapidly growing and millions of people may be suffering from it yet they may not know it. It is considered a condition which your doctor can not diagnose. This is a chronic illness that has been discovered in the recent past by medical practitioners. Your intestines are vital organs for the digestive system, nervous and immune system and it is very important to always ensure that they are in good health.
In the modern days, we are living, your intestines/guts can react to stress, processed foods, alcohol, bacteria, and some other forms of medications. These effects can bring about a leak in your guts and a small leak in the gut can result in very big intestinal problems. For instance, a healthy gut is very selective on what can pass through unlike a leaky gut which releases undigested food particles which eventually leads to an outsized immune response.
A leaky gut can greatly damage your overall health. There are many symptoms associated with a leaky gut syndrome such as allergies, asthma, arthritis, and many other conditions. The four major causes of leaky gut syndrome are:
- Poor diet
- Imbalance of the bacteria.
- Overload of toxins
- Chronic stress.
4 Rs of Healing Leaky gut syndrome
Leaky gut syndrome can be healed by following 4 Rs. That is, Remove, Replace, Rebalance, And Repair.
Before undertaking steps to the healing process, it is very advisable to carry out a leaky gut syndrome quiz to make sure that the symptoms that are showing in your body bring about the high risk of having the leaky gut syndrome. After going through the quiz to show that you may be having the leaky gut syndrome, it is now time to start the healing process. As the 4 R’s suggest, they are easy steps that one is able to follow easily.
Let’s have a look at each step towards the healing of leaky gut syndrome.
- Remove: Earlier in this article, we looked at several causes of leaky gut syndrome and the first step towards healing is eliminating irritants such as sugars, and other diets that contain chemical additives which are mainly found in the processed foods. This elimination helps greatly in pin pointing the foods that are causing this trouble. For effective results, it is advisable to eliminate a certain type of food that you may think its causing irritation then reintroduce it after about 2 weeks and take notes on the effects it may have upon reintroduction.
- Replace: Once the irritating foods are eliminated, it is now time to replace them with foods that will help with the lining of the guts. It is good to concentrate mainly on the non-starchy foods and lean proteins these will help in strengthening of the cellular membranes. Other foods that will give your guts high fibers are; legumes, nuts, berries, etc. You can also supplement your meals with multivitamins which is also a great source of nutrients and help greatly with the improving the leaky gut condition.
- Rebalance: After eliminating the foods you are taking and replacing with helpful foods, it is now time to help your guts grow a layer of good bacteria. The good bacteria balance help to decrease the non-friendly ones. Use of proper diet that contains fiber-rich foods helps a lot in the micro-floral balance.
- Repair: According to studies glutamine helps in maintaining the structure and functionality of the intestines. It also improves the damage caused by radiation and other chemicals. Other ways for repairing the intestines are: consumption of zinc, Nacetyl, kiwifruits, etc. To fully repair your intestines, it is very advisable to work with a medical practitioner who will further advise on the best ways to treat and repair your guts.